Sumerian message (a mother’s concern for her traveling son)
Sumerian message (a mother’s concern for her traveling son) 1-2956
The author of this text is named Lu-Denkyra, the son who left the city of Nippur (currently Nefer) on a long journey. Apparently, he wanted his mother to reassure him, so he wrote this letter, which he gave to the royal messenger returning to the city of Nippur, describing to him the anxiety of his mother, who was lost. Sleeping is due to his absence, and in order for the royal messenger to recognize her, the son provides the messenger with five signs that describe her and depict her character:
Turning to the Messenger:
O royal messenger who always travels on the roads,
I would like to direct you to Niebuhr to deposit this letter,
I've been on a long trip, and I'm worried my mother can't sleep.
She was in her room, which had never witnessed the uttering of a bitter word.
Don't stop asking all travelers for news about my health.
Place this letter of mine in her hands (in the hands of my mother), who will rejoice and wear her adornment for you.
Signs of mother recognition:
If you don't know who my mother is, let me give you the signs to recognize her
- The first sign:
Her name is Shat-Ishtar. Her personality is radiant. She is a wonderful goddess and a beloved daughter-in-law. She has been blessed since her youth. With her vitality, she has done well to take care of her father-in-law’s house. She is the one who serves her husband’s god. She is the one who knows how to take care of the temple of the goddess Inanna. She is the one who knows the king’s orders. She is energetic. So she multiplies possessions, she is loved, she is enhanced, she is full of life, she is Aries and she is the delicious cream, honey and butter that flows from the heart.
- The second sign:
Let me give you a second sign to recognize my mother:
My mother is the light of the very bright horizon, she is the bug of the mountains, the morning star that shines (...), she is the precious red agate, she is the (yellow sapphire) of Marhshi (some region), she is the agate jewelry that carries joy, the tin ring and the iron bracelet, she A shining staff of gold and silver. It is a statue of complete beauty, complete splendor. It is a marble angel on a base of lapis lazuli.
- The third sign:
Let me give you the third sign of recognizing my mother:
My mother is the rain in its appropriate season, she is the water (reviver) of buried love, she is an abundant harvest, barley of the highest quality, she is a prosperous orchard full of delicious things, she is a well-watered pine tree, laden with cones, she is the fruit of the year, the new year, and the harvest of the first month, she is the channel that... It carries fertilized water, even irrigation streams. It is the extremely sweet Dilmun date, the extra-spicy date that is always in demand.
- The fourth sign:
Let me give you the fourth sign of recognizing my mother:
My mother is a holiday, she is a gift full of joy, she is an Akita offering (New Year’s offering) that dazzles her beholder, she is a dance floor prepared for great joy, she is the child of a prince and an anthem of abundance, she is a lover and a loving heart whose joy never runs out, she is the good news of a prisoner returning to his mother.
The fifth sign:
Let me give you the fifth sign of recognizing my mother:
My mother is a pine cart and a bed of boxwood, she is a fitting robe smeared with fragrant fats, she is a tortoiseshell flask, filled with the same perfumes, she is a beautiful, lavishly decorated garland of flowers.
Conclusion of the message:
Tell her, O Messenger:
“Your beloved son Lu-Dinkyra, extends his best wishes to you.”

Source: websites