Hicham Nostique, nicknamed “Moroccan Infidel”: When “integration fails, people tend to isolate themselves into factions and groups.”
Hicham Nostique, nicknamed “Moroccan Infidel”: When “integration fails, people tend to isolate themselves into factions and groups.” 13-17
Hisham Nostique, known as the “Moroccan infidel,” confirmed that the children of Muslim immigrants in Europe in general face great difficulty in integrating into their host societies. This has many reasons, but the two main reasons are: first, the incompatibility of value systems, and second, and most importantly, the failure of integration. He added that when “integration fails, people tend to isolate themselves into factions and groups, and the easiest groups to join are religious groups, because all that What is needed to produce extremism is the failed integration and incompatibility of the value system and the incubating religious group that calls for hatred.”
In our interview with Hicham Nostique, a member of the Moroccan community residing in Canada, and a former member of the Reform and Renewal Movement and then the Justice and Charity Group, he spoke to us about his experience with immigration in Europe. He said that his journey to Europe began in 1995 when he went to study in Germany. At that time, he did not have enough money to live a normal student life, so he lived in a mosque run by Arabs.
He explained that at this time the war in Bosnia was still ongoing and he met a group of former and current jihadists, and given his young age, the influence was easy on him, and in fact he became so religious that he began to follow all Islamic instructions to the letter, but, according to him, after he survived From a jihadist adventure, he began to think more deeply about his convictions, which led him, after many years, to change many of his previous views on religion and religiosity.
Nostic said about the role of Moroccan religious institutions abroad in providing spiritual and social support to immigrants and promoting cultural integration, “Unfortunately, the role of Moroccan religious institutions abroad will always be limited, because the attraction towards extremism for desperate young people is very strong,” and stressed, “What must be done is Improving integration policies and frank, transparent discussion about the value system of immigrants.”
He explained that there are many programs that aim to teach Islamic values and morals in a way that is compatible with the laws and values in the countries where Moroccan immigrants live, but they all share one problem: they are run by people who either have no idea about the real problems, or By people who are not welcomed by the community there.
Regarding the problem of preventing religious debate from sliding into extremism and confronting the potential negative effects of extremism within the community, he said that the problem is complex and requires concerted efforts and good intentions, and that receiving countries must improve integration policies and focus on the value system as well as open a bold discussion about the real problems of immigrants, and he stressed the need to It is necessary to call things by their proper names and work side by side with those who want the good of society, and on the part of the community, reasonable people must be aware of the danger of religious extremism, take it seriously, and cooperate with the authorities to reduce its influence on young people.
Hicham Nostique, nicknamed “Moroccan Infidel”: When “integration fails, people tend to isolate themselves into factions and groups.” 13-17
Regarding the mechanisms for enhancing communication and dialogue between different religions and how they can contribute to spreading moderation and moderation in religiosity among the members of the community and protect them from falling into the clutches of terrorism, he said that all attempts in this regard have failed, explaining that this does not mean that learning about other religions is a problem. During the school curriculum is a bad thing, and here is the point, because working to correct concepts and encourage moderation in religiosity begins from an early age, and this is the role of both the school and the family, according to him.
It is noteworthy that Hisham Nostique, nicknamed “Moroccan Infidel,” is a former Muslim jihadist. He was born in Taza in 1976. He immigrated to Germany in 1995, then moved to live in Canada. He is a Moroccan writer and Internet content producer. Nostique is famous for his programs in which he discusses topics about religions. He has many satirical works of art and educational programs, including “Friday Sermon” and “Smiles from the Life of the Prophet.” He is also famous for his debates with the Salafists and his discussions with many Moroccan researchers. He also now supervises the program “Hisham’s Dialogues,” in which he hosts well-known figures from Multiple backgrounds.
After a difficult childhood in which he lived as an orphan, Hisham was able to complete his studies despite all the obstacles. Then he went to Germany to continue his studies and obtain a master’s degree in linguistics. The life he lived in Germany was able to change many of his convictions, as he went through a jihad experience and then went through ten years of struggle. Research and contemplation ended with his departure from Islam and his transformation into a critic of the religious heritage.
The following is the text of the interview:
* Mr. Hisham, a young Moroccan resident in Europe, would you please tell us about your experience?
My European journey began in 1995 when I went to study in Germany. I didn't have enough money to live a normal student life, so I lived in a mosque run by Arabs. At this time the war in Bosnia was still ongoing and I met a group of former and current jihadists. I was young and easily influenced. I became so religious that I started following all Islamic instructions exactly. After surviving a jihadist adventure, I began to think more deeply about my convictions, which led me, after many years, to change many of my previous views.
One of the major issues that are brought up in all forums is the spiritual and religious aspect of the community’s members, especially since we know that they are the most involved in terrorist and extremist groups in Europe and other countries.
The children of Muslim immigrants in Europe in general face great difficulty in integrating into their host societies. This has many reasons, but the two main reasons are: first, incompatibility of value systems, and second, and most importantly, failure of integration. When integration fails, people tend to isolate themselves into factions and groups. The easiest groups to join are religious groups. All you need to produce an extremist is a failed integration and incompatibility of the value system and the incubating religious group that calls for hatred.
What is the role of Moroccan religious institutions abroad in providing spiritual and social support to immigrants and promoting cultural integration?
Unfortunately, I believe that the role of Moroccan religious institutes abroad will always be limited. Because for desperate young people the pull towards extremism is so strong. What needs to be done is to improve integration policies and open, transparent discussion about the value system of immigrants.
Are there special programs aimed at teaching Islamic values and morals in a way that is compatible with the laws and values in the countries where Moroccan immigrants live?
Yes, there are many of these programs, but they all have one problem in common: they are run by people who either have no idea what the real problems are, or by people who are not welcomed by the community there.
In your opinion, how can we prevent the religious debate from sliding into extremism and address the potential negative effects of extremism within the community?
As I mentioned earlier, the problem is complex and requires concerted efforts and good intentions. Receiving countries must improve their integration policies, focus on their value system, and also open a bold debate about the real problems of migrants. We must call things by their proper names and work together with those who want the good of society. On the part of the community, reasonable people must be aware of the danger of religious extremism, take it seriously, and cooperate with the authorities to reduce its impact on young people.
Do you think that strengthening communication and dialogue between different religions can contribute to spreading moderation and moderation in religiosity among members of the community and protect them from falling into the clutches of terrorism?
I do not think so. All attempts in this regard have failed. This does not mean that learning about other religions through school curricula is a bad thing. Here is the bottom line: working to correct concepts and encourage moderation in religiosity begins at an early age. This is the role of both the school and the family.

*Rashida Imrzyk