Shapur I's victory over the Roman Emperor Valerian
Shapur I's victory over the Roman Emperor Valerian 1--327
The Battle of Edessa took place between the armies of the Roman Empire under the command of Emperor Valerian and the forces of the Sassanian Empire under the command of Shah Shah (King of Kings) Shapur I in 260 AD. The Roman army was completely defeated and captured by the Persian forces; For the first time in Rome's military history, an emperor was captured. Therefore, this battle is considered the worst disaster in Roman military history.
Rock relief at Rustam showing the victory of Shapur I over the Roman Emperor Valerian
The Roman Emperor Valerian, whose full name was Publius Licinius Valerianus
(From 253 to spring 260 AD.)
He was captured by the Persian Sasanian "King of Kings" Shapur I after the "Battle of Edessa", becoming the first Roman Emperor to be captured as a prisoner of war, causing shock and instability throughout the Roman Empire.
?As for the fate of Valerian
There are differing accounts regarding Valerian's fate after his arrest by Shapur.
Some scholars claim that Shapur sent Valerian and some of his army to the city of Bishapur, where they lived in relatively good conditions. The remaining soldiers were used in engineering and development plans, as the Romans were skilled merchants and craftsmen. Caesar Dam is one of the remnants of Roman engineering located near the ancient city of Sousse.
According to another source (Lactantius), Shapur humiliated Valerian by using the former emperor as a ladder to climb onto his horse.
He also kept him in cages and humiliated for the pleasure of the Persian Emperor, according to Aurelius Victor.
Upon Valerian's death, his skin was skinned and stuffed with manure or straw, and kept in the Persian temple.
However, there are also some accounts that state that he was treated with respect, and that allegations of torture may have been fabricated by Christian historians from late antiquity to show the dangers to persecutors of Christianity.

Source: websites